November 23, 2008

Let's Just Squash It! Vegetable Medley On A Dime

(my zucchini and yellow squash medley: pre-roasting)


Always challenging those who read her blog to maintain healthier lifestyles, my dear friend Monica, posted a recipe for roasted vegetables a couple of weeks ago. Her offering is chock full of squash, zucchini, onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, etc. and it's sooooo budget-friendly.

One night this week, I spent a mere $4 on handfuls of yellow squash and zucchini. I diced it up, seasoned the mix, drizzled it with olive oil and roasted. First of all, the aroma was beautiful. I couldn't wait for the roasting process to be complete. When it was done, I found myself with multiple pairing opportunities. That night, I served it alongside a Shepherd's Pie...'twas (of course) delicious.

Since I'd made enough to last a couple of days, we had the veggies with roasted chicken the next night...yum-e. And, get this, the I warmed the balance on the third day and placed them on atop a bed of wheat couscous.

I was amazed that this dish with such low cost and so little effort yielded so many possibilities. Grab Monica's recipe and make it your own.

Do you have any side dishes in your repertoire that are cost efficient and get great mileage? Won't you share with us?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Italian Roasted Potatoes
    Its an easy side dish that only requires red potatoes, italian seasoning, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder. You just cube the potatoes, throw them in a ziplock, and all the other seasonings (to taste). Close the ziplock and toss it all together. Pour the potatoes in a pan and cook in @ 375 until lightly browned on all sides. Stir or turn the potatoes after 15-20 minutes

    I cook mine for 30-40 minutes until all sides are lightly browned, but you can determine how brown you want your potatoes. All that matters is that the potatoes are done.

    It's easy, quick, and inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete

 
© 2008-2011 The Broke Socialite Media, All Rights Reserved | Site Design by Simply Amusing Designs