One of the things that I love about being a
- In true TBS fashion and if you've never done it before, this is the perfect opportunity to shop your own closet. There is very little more satisfying than running across a piece that you've forgotten about or that would be great married with another recently purchased item. (Insert 'Happy Dance' here!).
- Unless you expect to run into The Queen of England, allow jeans, chinos or leggings to be your foundation. I've not been to the event yet where jeans were inappropriate. I do, however, recommend that you not wear your rattiest ones. Remember, you're likely meeting someone for the first time and, though, there is a semi-mystique about us social networkers....there's no need to perpetuate the myth by being unkempt. Though most of our engagement is virtual, first impressions still count.
- Dependent on the season, layers are a great option. In a full conference environment, there is usually a hotel involved. With icy meeting rooms. A nicely tailored blazer or jacket is an essential. Whether covering a t-shirt or collared shirt, having a jacket allows a great deal of flexibility. Sweaters also work.
- Sometimes a jacket isn't enough when the hotel has set the thermometer on "Alaska" degrees, so ladies might also consider tossing a pashmina into your bags.
- Comfortable shoes are a must. Since there will likely be a great deal of walking and standing involved, be mindful of this when choosing a pair. A nice pair of loafers, ballet flats or your most tolerable heels should work. Breaking in a new pair of shoes is the last thing you want to do (Remind me to tell you all about the time that I thought it'd be a great idea to prance around in my new Louboutins for two days at a conference...Can you spell O-U-C-H?)
- Consider a t-shirt that advertises your blog or Twitter address. I recently sported my The Follow Me Tee to a Tweet-Up and it was instantly a hit! It's a minimal investment and an immediate icebreaker!
- If there is a dressier soiree on the agenda, you can never go wrong with a jersey dress (all of us ladies should have one in our closets). My favorite one is wrap-style and black. I can dress it up with funky accessories from my jewelry collection, tights and boots for the evening having easily come from wearing it earlier in the day with a sweater and pearl earrings.
- Don't get trapped in the "multiple change" vortex. Unless you're going to the Emmys, there really isn't a need. With most airlines charging for multiple bags, you should really strive to bring everything in a carry-on should there be travel involved.
- A larger tote or messenger bag is essential, as well.
What do you typically wear to social networking events?