January 7, 2009

A TBS Flower Arrangement On A Budget!




When I threw the dessert soiree a couple of weeks ago, I was on a budget. After I'd purchased the desserts and libations, I only had about $8 left for a flower arrangement. Each of us has our own personal touches and fresh flowers so happen to be mine.

If you don't have a signature touch whilst entertaining, think about what you do well and which element inspires you most.

So I arrived at the market around 10 AM, just before it got too busy and as the florist was looking to liquidate some bouquets that needed a little TLC. I found two bouquets for $2.50 each. I, of course, stuck to my budgetary guns and snatched up a seemingly hideous bouquet of white daisies and mums and red carnations (ummmmm...yuck!) and some additional fillers.

How was I going to pull this off? After some thought, I decided to remove all of the colors and pare down to a lovely bouquet of white and green in a faux bois ceramic container (purchased for $2 at a designer's liquidation sale).

What is your personal touch when entertaining?

4 comments:

  1. I love, love, love to entertain that's my thing. When I first started entertaining it was difficult to do on a budget, as I was still collecting pieces so that I would have all the things I needed for a beautiful tablescape, enough china, flatware, ect. Even though I have a lot of pieces I still find myself picking up things here and there. As far as my personal touch it depends on the type of event, but if I had to isolate one thing it would be the takeaways. Folks typically leave the house with a cute little box filled with a cupcake, a cellophane bag tied with a ribbon with a pecan praline in it, a personalized shot glass to commemorate the event, ect. So I guess my personal touch is making the memory last with a little something, something to take home to remember the great time that was had at our home!

    I love your site as it gives me all kinds of ideas. I would have looked right past the hideous bouquet, and you just taught me to look at things with a different eye. Thanks a bunch!

    BTW; each time I come to your site I get a pop up asking me to log in to twitter/api. Not sure if it is unique to me, but I thought I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was LOVELY!

    I have lots of personal touches. Most that I'll keep to myself so I may remain original. LOL! The main thing is the food though. It's always good and abundant and ALWAYS enough so everyone can take some with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Fergie, thanks for the info about the glitch. We're working on it!

    What wonderful ideas for entertaining "favors".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I don't know how many times I've picked up the clearance flowers at Kroger! I make an effort to always have fresh flowers on my desk at work and sometimes, you run across a steal on a dozen roses!

    ReplyDelete

 
© 2008-2011 The Broke Socialite Media, All Rights Reserved | Site Design by Simply Amusing Designs